Big East Conference Band Directors Association 2012 Composition Competition
Through the 2012 Big East Conference Band Directors Association
Composition Competition, member institutions seek to stimulate the
creation of works of expressive character and artistic merit, suitable
and appealing for performance by both high school and
college/university concert bands (Grade 3-4).
1. All entries must be received no later than October 1, 2012.
2. A composer may enter only one work per year.
3. Entries must be original compositions (not transcriptions or
arrangements) for the medium of the concert band/wind ensemble (full
instrumentation). Composers who are members of the Big East Band
Directors Association are not eligible.
4. Full score and recording or midi rendering. The recording must
be presented in cd format.
5. The score and compact disc should be identified by title only.
Provide identification and contact information (name, address, phone
and email) on a separate page placed in an envelope identified only
with the title of the composition.
6. Entry materials will not be returned.
7. Upon publication, the composer of the winning work agrees to
include the following acknowledgment above the title on both score and
Winner of the 2012 Big East Conference Band Directors Association
8. The composer of the winning composition shall agree to provide
pdf files of the score and parts without charge to any Big East Band
Directors Association ensemble that plans to perform the work during
the period from January 1 through December 31, 2013. Beyond this, all
rights will remain with the composer.
9. Entrants will be notified of the outcome of the competition via
email by December 31, 2012.
Prize: $2,000 and performances by at least three ensembles
representing member institutions of the Big East Conference Band
Directors Association during the period January 1 through December 31,
2013. In addition, the composer will receive an archival compact disc
recording of at least one of the live performances of the work. The
winning composer will be expected to attend the premiere for which a
modest travel stipend will be provided.
Send entry materials to:
Big East Composition
c/o Dr. Amy Acklin
School of Music
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292