Inspired by the success of YLSS’s previous commissions*, we are now inviting entries for our 2017-18 New Music Commission. Four of the submitted pieces will be chosen for a Workshop with eminent composer and Master of the Queen’s Music, Judith Weir, and YLSS players, and from these one piece will be selected for performance in 2018.
Download a flyer: http://www.ylss.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/YLSS-new-music-flyer-draf...
Download an information pack and submission form: http://www.ylss.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/New-Music-2017-18-details...
Our aims for the commission are to:
● Create an original piece of music of high quality, which is inspiring, challenging yet technically accessible for YLSS. This will add to the very limited repertoire specifically written for similar orchestras of adult learners.
● Give YLSS the experience of being part of the creative process and of working with a composer. The process of selecting the composer and working on the piece will be designed to involve all YLSS members who wish to take part. Entrants will be encouraged to share with YLSS the inspiration for their piece and discuss the process of composition, to enhance players’ understanding and performance of the music.
● Broaden YLSS’s musical horizons, giving an impetus to developing more adventurous playing and more confident performance.
● Enable an established or emerging composer to work with YLSS in creating a new piece for performance.
How we plan to achieve this:
● Stage 1
○ An open invitation to established or emerging composers to submit a 10-15 minute composition. All entries will be considered anonymously by the Selection Panel and four will be shortlisted for a Workshop.
● Stage 2
○ A Workshop for four shortlisted composers. Judith Weir will give feedback and coaching on each piece as it is rehearsed with YLSS and its conductor Stuart Hazelton. Judith will also offer an individual tutorial with each shortlisted composer. The Workshop and tutorials will be held in Leeds and we will meet travel expenses up to £50 each for shortlisted composers. One composition will be selected for the commission.
● Stage 3
○ A commission worth £500 (plus contribution towards expenses) to the selected composer to work with YLSS to develop and rehearse their piece for a performance in 2018.
Invite compositions for the Workshop: April 2017
Closing Date for Submissions: 31 July 2017
Shortlisting: August 2017
Tutorials (optional): Sat 28th Oct 2017
Workshop Day in Leeds: Sun 29th Oct 2017
Rehearsals with commissioned composer: Jan - June 2018
First Performance: Date in 2018 to be finalised
Entries should arrive at the address below by 31 July 2017. Entries received after that date will not be considered. All entries will be acknowledged. We look forward to receiving your entry.
Please send to:
YLSS New Music
c/o 1 Meeting House Lane
York YO26 5FD